Suspected al-Qaeda Terrorist Acts
- 1993 (Feb.): Bombing of World Trade Center (WTC); six killed.
- 1993 (Oct.): Killing of U.S. soldiers in Somalia.
- 1996 (June): Truck bombing at Khobar Towers barracks in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia, killed 19 Americans.
- 1998 (Aug.): Bombing of U.S. embassies in East Africa; 224 killed, including 12 Americans.
- 1999 (Dec.): Plot to bomb millennium celebrations in Seattle foiled when customs agents arrest an Algerian smuggling explosives into the U.S.
- 2000 (Oct.): Bombing of the USS Cole in port in Yemen; 17 U.S. sailors killed.
- 2001 (Sept.): Destruction of WTC; attack on Pentagon. Total dead 2,992.
- 2001 (Dec.): Man tried to denote shoe bomb on flight from Paris to Miami.
- 2002 (April): Explosion at historic synagogue in Tunisia left 21 dead, including 14 German tourists.
- 2002 (May): Car exploded outside hotel in Karachi, Pakistan, killing 14, including 11 French citizens.
- 2002 (June): Bomb exploded outside American consulate in Karachi, Pakistan, killing 12.
- 2002 (Oct.): Boat crashed into oil tanker off Yemen coast, killing one.
- 2002 (Oct.): Nightclub bombings in Bali, Indonesia, killed 202, mostly Australian citizens.
- 2002 (Nov.): Suicide attack on a hotel in Mombasa, Kenya, killed 16.
- 2003 (May): Suicide bombers killed 34, including 8 Americans, at housing compounds for Westerners in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
- 2003 (May): Four bombs killed 33 people targeting Jewish, Spanish, and Belgian sites in Casablanca, Morocco.
- 2003 (Aug.): Suicide car-bomb killed 12, injured 150 at Marriott Hotel in Jakarta, Indonesia.
- 2003 (Nov.): Explosions rocked a Riyadh, Saudi Arabia housing compound, killing 17.
- 2003 (Nov.): Suicide car-bombers simultaneously attacked two synagogues in Istanbul, Turkey, killing 25 and injuring hundreds.
- 2003 (Nov.): Truck bombs detonated at London bank and British consulate in Istanbul, Turkey, killing 26.
- 2004 (March): Ten terrorists bombs exploded almost simultaneously during the morning rush hour in Madrid, Spain, killing 202 and injuring more than 1,400.
- 2004 (May): Terrorists attacked Saudi oil company offices in Khobar, Saudi Arabia, killing 22.
- 2004 (June): Terrorists kidnapped and executed American Paul Johnson, Jr., in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
- 2004 (Sept.): Car bomb outside the Australian embassy in Jakarta, Indonesia, killed nine.
- 2004 (Dec.): Terrorists enter the U.S. Consulate in Jiddah, Saudi Arabia, killing nine (including 4 attackers).
Information Please® Database, © 2005 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on Suspected al-Qaeda Terrorist Acts from Infoplease: