[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
RTP Discussions • View topic - Flaw (Maybe;))

Flaw (Maybe;))

Discussion Area for the Play - "Resurrection"

Flaw (Maybe;))

Postby Random1 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:35 pm

-- Random1 --
Random1

Re: Flaw (Maybe;))

Postby HarryStottle » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:55 am

HarryStottle
Site Admin

Postby Random1 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:22 pm

-- Random1 --
Random1

How do you digitalize a dead brain?

Postby yoghurt » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:50 am

First of all, I'm sorry, but I also liked "A conversation with God" more than I did "Resurrection". I think this is mainly because the former clicked perfectly with how I imagined God to be if he existed. And "A conversation with God" articulated my thoughts on this matter better than I ever could.

But the reason I post here is not to say the above, but rather because I think I also spotted a flaw in the article "Resurrection". I can perfectly see that is it possible to digitalize a human's brain, considering that a 'mind-reading' technology has been invented. And I can also see that it would be possible to simulate or run this digitalized brain on a computer, and after that achievement, optimizing it or running it at 10 times its normal speed would be a piece of cake. What I however don't get is; How would you digitalize a dead brain?! I'd expect this mind reading device to detect the electrical pulses of the brain and after a while this would result in a complete map (or copy) of the brain. Especially if you took a drug to activate all regions of the brain. And even if this device would be able to directly detect the connections between the brain cells without any electrical current flowing through it, these connections rapidly deteriorate after the oxygen supply is cut off (which is the case in for example; death). Therefore it would be impossible to digitalize someone who has died, especially if this person is dead for a long time. Which is the case with "Dad" whom has died way before the technology was ever invented.

So the question is: "How do you digitalize a dead brain?"

The only solution I can think off is some sort of time travel. But one where you can not alter the past but only see it (one-way time travel, so it would not be subject to time paradoxes) and thus analyse it with your mind-read device. But if this is the case then it wouldn't be so hard for Stuart to copy Dad's room exactly as it was. Of course this could be solved by saying looking back in time is very expensive. This would however be a rather weak explanation, imho.

Anyway I'm very interested in your thoughts about this.
yoghurt

Re: How do you digitalize a dead brain?

Postby HarryStottle » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:58 am

HarryStottle
Site Admin

Postby yoghurt » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:34 pm

yoghurt

Postby HarryStottle » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:14 am

HarryStottle
Site Admin