[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
RTP Discussions • View topic - Greetings Earthlings

Greetings Earthlings

Discussion of the article "Conversation With God"

Postby jeanmichel73 » Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:09 am

jeanmichel73

Truth?

Postby StephenL » Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:02 am

I have to admit that when I first read this I didn't even consider the possibility that it was anything other than an interesting way to inform people of your opinions on the subject of God. I was a little surprised to see the question asked but then I suppose not everyone shares my idea that truth is often simply the most convincing arguement at the time, as can be seen by the vast number of scientinst who spend their time, not creating new ideas but rather, attempting to disprove other peoples theories. I have only recently run into your site and am in the process of reading through the various sections of the book (w'ook?). I am sure I will have further comment/queries in the future but thought I should begin by commenting on the story/article that led me here. I think that your ideas are as credible as any other and can see the benefits (can't imagine a Transhumanist Witness turning up, trying to sell me a copy of "The RTP" and then asking me if I've spoken to God recently). :)
Yours in appreciation of a good/thought provoking read
StephenL
StephenL

Postby otaking » Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:45 pm

well I just want to post my thoughts on this

Simply put, I thought it would just be a load of crap.

Then however, after I began reading it, I kept on reading and was intrigued. There always is that possibility that everything was true, however I feel it is best to follow those hints about what we need to succede in the future and not concern yourself with this god. If it is true we won't be alive to see the end of this anyway so for our purposes there is no need. Now thats easy for me to say because I already agreed with everything in there. We need fusion power and we need genetic advances. I just wish the people in power right now could see this.
otaking

interesting...

Postby chromatech » Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:34 pm

it is an interesting read...

However an interesting fact is how many people actually question this to be real or not. I guess this is why propaganda works. People will believe almost (if not) anything.

Problem with your story was however the lack of respect of religion in the society. You have mentioned Moses, Jesus and Mohammed briefly and failed to mention tens of other religions which people believe in. But really disturbing how you dismiss religion as being a waste of people's time. For a philosopher I would think that you would understand the first lessons of philosophy which are typical religions of the world.

I understand that being an atheist you don't believe in the god hanging out in clouds with angels or whatever religion you want to exemplify. However as an atheist you do lack respect for people of different beliefs. Just the same I could dismiss your beliefs 'because' you are an atheist. However your story was interesting.

Looks like your self-thought, ignorant and arrogant 'philosophy' needs some classes.

...I am not a very religious person.
chromatech

Postby harpoonflyby » Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:05 am

harpoonflyby

Postby frencheneesz » Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:57 pm

In response to chromatech:

I agree that people (collectively) will believe almost anything, but I think people question whether its real or not simply because they want it to be real.

As for giving respect to religion in society - I think you missed the point of the episode. The point is to portray what god might/would be like more realistically, and to convey the neccessary dangers we entrust in ourselves, and the subsequent neccessary care we need to give ourselves in order for us to survive.

You missed that point.

A god would care little for religions whos history has retarded our progress as a society. Why would an atheist, and a God spend more time on religion than they did?

Also, you incorrectly labled the story as "dismiss[ing] religion as being a waste of.. time." They scorened the myth that encircles relgion, and the unthinking frenzy that goes along with it.

And when he said religion, he meant the core, the superstition. Churches consist of 3 parts: religion, community, and moral teachings. Only one of these things was scorned. The others weren't condoned nor the opposite.

I would have to say you yourself are quite arogant to assume that your philosophy is so much better, and that a peice of good writing needs to include all aspects of everything. You should try thinking outside of the norms sometime, maybe you'll learn something.
frencheneesz

Postby chromatech » Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:00 pm

chromatech

Postby Azurite » Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:11 am

Azurite

Tiny mistake by god

Postby lememe » Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:04 am

lememe

Postby hello » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:58 am

wow i really enjoyed this read a lot! and the discussions on this board are great! i wish i could contribute to the discussion but i cant think of anything other than just wanting to say how thought provoking this story was for me being an atheist and having my views on religion written into this great story.

one thing i noticed was the name HARRY STOTTLE... i doubt that is a real name... coincidentally similar to ARISTOTLE dont u think? :wink: thats awesome!
hello

Postby chromatech » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:16 am

yes its funny how such a typical 'thinker' who did not really invent any new thought except controversial gibberish can compare himself to aristotle.

a bit arrogant don't you think?
ok maybe not arrogant..maybe just ignorant.
chromatech

Conversation with God

Postby some guy » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:47 pm

I found it interesting to read as a work of fiction. Although I must say when I click the link to see what other people think (discuss this article) I was a bit disheartened at the OMG is this real!?!?! comments.

This story was cleary designed to open a train of thought to its reader. I would say that the I would like to believe that this "common ground" of darwinism and inteligent design is true because it appeals to my rationalities.

I must add that I am not a big fan of philosophy because I am divided in that sometimes I want to contemplate the universe and other times just get high/laid and not care because I want to enjoy life before it ends. So unless I can help human life achieve "level 2", (Probably not) I should just get high and play some guitar. Good Game RTP.
some guy

Postby Luminarie » Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:26 pm

Luminarie

Postby Luminarie » Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:37 pm

Luminarie

Postby chromatech » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:27 pm

chromatech

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation with God