[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
RTP Discussions • View topic - Beyond: a short sci-fi film, displaying our future?

Beyond: a short sci-fi film, displaying our future?

Discussion of UFOs, with emphasis on the implications if they do exist.

Beyond: a short sci-fi film, displaying our future?

Postby Stone1 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:20 pm

I've found this video while getting my daily dose of the german Scienceblogs:
http://vimeo.com/72632269

It displays, via a rather attractive actress, what our future transhuman self(/ves) might be capable of.

Thought that this forum is a good place to share it (and since my last thread in this category ended in personal trivia which should better have been done via email, I started a new topic. Hope that's fine with you, Harry).

Enjoy :D
Stone1

Deleted post

Postby Stone1 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:13 pm

Hmm, how to delete?
Stone1

Re: Beyond: a short sci-fi film, displaying our future?

Postby HarryStottle » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:10 am

I presume that, as I can only see one posting, you figured out that you can delete your own post.

The movie snippet is mildly intriguing though I had to fight my reflex irritation at some of the technical infrastructure.

Aria has built in HUD and an obviously intelligent computer implanted in her nervous system. Yet it still talks like a toy from the 1980s and she has to address it out loud. Grrrrrrrr....

That said, the premise is potentially interesting (finding herself on a sentient planet - brings to mind "Solaris")

But only qualifies as "mildly intriguing" because, so far, its too light on plot points, motivation, direction etc. It's obviously a taster, presumably designed to attract a budget for the real thing. The director has talent though, so it'll be interesting to see where it goes. If that one fails, perhaps I should pass them my own "beyond the universe" plot...
HarryStottle
Site Admin

Postby Stone1 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:30 pm

Hmm, your concentration seems a bit wacky today. There are two similar topics in this forum section, somehow I accidentially started the Beyond topic twice. And I cannot delete a topic (at least that's how it seems to me), although I can delete a post.

Edit: nope, I cannot delete a post, either. There's just the edit function.

So the moderation would still be necessary, if you please.

Yes the film is a bit poor on plot, though well made and the actress is a beauty after all, so if she wants to interact lingually with her interface, so be it - isn't that one of the things that seperates the girls from the boys? And for those viewers who are not as firm in scifi and technics as we are, I guess it's easier to understand.

So you''ve worked out a scifi plot, Harry? Anything worth reading you're willing to share yet? I must confess that since I've read Hyperion/Endymion by Dan Simmons and A Fire Upon The Deep/A Deepness In The Sky by Vernor Vinge (which were the best scifi reads I've had yet, and while looking up the english titles in wikipedia, tadaa! I learned that a third novel in this cycle was published in 2011, now that's great. Have to get that asap). I've not read that many scifi novels since then, because most of them were, compared to the imaginative force and thrilling plots of Vinge, rather disappointing. Even William Gibson's Sourcecode was, compared to the Neuromancer trilogy, rather dull. I just spotted that this one is also part of a trilogy, so mayhaps I'll give it a second chance.

But for that, I first have to reduce the dose of those always fun-to-read crime novels playing in my neighborhood (Bavaria and Upper Austria) which my mom deals me.

Back to the point, if you've got a "beyond the universe" novel in the drawer, me want reading :mrgreen: ! I'm getting a mobile 7 inch tablet running an open Android soon, so a digital version would suffice.

And now to something completely different: we're getting up to 24°C and plain sunshine this weekend here in central Europe, take that you british islanders! And my weekend starts this afternoon.
Have a nice one, see you.
Stone1

Postby Stone1 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:40 pm

As many of us seem to like Star Wars (at least the original trilogy), I'll share another fine video with quite fitting metal music:
:twisted:
Stone1

a PC Spacesim Game

Postby Stone1 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:01 pm

I'm glad I didn't fall into the marketing tricks along the launch of X: Rebirth, a new PC-spacesim game. It looks great but is bad. Wanted to buy it today, luckily I viewed this review yesterday:
Disclaimer: prepare a fresh pair of trousers before viewing, you might wet your pants.

Instead I bought this older spacesim game from the same developers, along with a flightstick and for 1/5 the price of the new game, plus official addon included. The intro makes my mouth water and the story seems fascinating.

There's a large (mainly german) community supporting the game with mods and meanwhile it should run flawlessly. Egosoft is notorious for launching games in an early-beta condition, but in the long run every issue gets fixed - with much work done by the community. So if you don't hear from me during the weeks to come, I'm most probably cruising in VR space 8) .
Stone1

Return to UFO's Beyond the Evidence