[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
RTP Discussions • View topic - Brainstorming Ways to Broaden Audience.

Brainstorming Ways to Broaden Audience.

Suggest modifications to the Forum, (eg new Forums) or the RTP site generally

Brainstorming Ways to Broaden Audience.

Postby Auburn » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:37 am

Your story and book are, ..what's the right phrase.., absolutely amazing, yes. I had a big grin on my face the whole day when I read Talking to God. Strange, but these are the type of things that get my blood excited. Like, literally..

Ahem, anyhow, I find it both unfair but predictable that in so many years, the story (and book) remain hidden from the eyes which need to see it most. The way you word them, though, is definitely palatable. Yet I wish more people could see what you've written! I suspect you've probably given it a lot of thought, so I apologize if any (all) of this is redundant and/or irrelevant - but here goes..

Brainstorming

Pre: So reaching an audience is a complicated endeavor that requires the consideration of various factors. Who the target audience is, what the targeted audience finds appealing, where the targeted audience is generally exposed to new information, to name a few. I take it you're not the commercial type (that's awesome). I don't fancy those types myself, and prefer a more natural form of spreading the word. But there are also creative ways to do so without compromising the integrity of one's work.

Idea 1) Are you familiar with the works of RSA Animate? The way in which they illustrate their concepts presents the audience with a multitude of ways to connect to the content. Auditory, for those who have a disposition for it, visual for others with another disposition, as well as symbolic/abstract in order to help the audience consume the information in as many dimensions as possible. This is one effective method I've seen for presenting high-level concepts to a wide audience in a way that is attractive, novel, yet without sacrificing its integrity/quality.

The downside to this is, of course, that it takes enormous amounts of effort/planning and resources. But the actual idea I am proposing is more of an intermediate. Even converting the writings into a simple youtube audio with subtitles - presents the content to a much broader arena. Certainly a platform not to be underestimated, as many average Joes have risen to fame via youtube videos.

Idea 2) I had another one I swear.. ..it ran away dammit. gimmy a sec while I fetch it.

Idea 3) Mind amendments to the site layout? Actually, your layout works really nice as it is. The thin width makes it so that each line of text appears a small task to the eyes, making it easier to read long passages since before one realizes it, they've read a mountain of text, neatly divided into consumable bites. So it's not really the layout as much as the graphics perhaps? The 1800s-esque theme doesn't do justice to the content, I believe. It brings forth, in the mind of the spectator, associations to the dry academia they might have encountered in past years. I'm not entirely sure what *would* be an appropriate theme, since your content ranges from historical to futuristic. Perhaps a mixture of cyber(netic) and sophisticated (Victorian?) themes?

- - -

It would be neat, I think, to contribute also to the actual debates at hand - but thus far I haven't encountered anything you've posted that I fundamentally disagree with. Your deductions are strikingly clear and meticulous - something I wish more people had. Nevertheless, should I be allowed to enter, I'll share some ideas I do have; if not to debate then at least to hear the opinions of brilliant thinkers, as I'm very curious what you all think.
Auburn

Postby HarryStottle » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:18 pm

HarryStottle
Site Admin

Postby Auburn » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:19 pm

Auburn

Postby HarryStottle » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:17 am

Just a quick first response. Just visited your Deviant Art page and I want to take up your invitation to create a free design.

As we've discussed/hinted. I generally find it difficult to state my case simply and briefly. But I certainly recognise the need to do just that. In one very rare case, I think I have.

I came up with a sound-bite last year, which sums up my Trusted Surveillance proposition very neatly. This matters because it's a very difficult concept for punters to wrap their heads around. Those who don't have a decent grasp of security and the principles of cryptography are bound to struggle. So I was quite chuffed with myself for the following slogan, which says nothing at all about the "how" only the "why":

CITIZEN - INNOCENT UNTIL PROVED GUILTY

AUTHORITY - GUILTY UNTIL PROVED INNOCENT

I want that on a T Shirt. I had a friend of a friend lined up to print them and I asked her (over 18 months ago) to design something suitable but it's clearly out of her comfort zone so nothing's happened.

I'm guessing you might find it more inspiring...
HarryStottle
Site Admin

Postby HarryStottle » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:53 pm

HarryStottle
Site Admin

Postby Auburn » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:46 pm

Auburn

Postby HarryStottle » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:05 pm

HarryStottle
Site Admin

Postby Auburn » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:11 am

Auburn

Postby HarryStottle » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:31 pm

HarryStottle
Site Admin

Postby Auburn » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:18 am

CITIZEN - INNOCENT UNTIL PROVED GUILTY
AUTHORITY - GUILTY UNTIL PROVED INNOCENT

Humm, well placing those words themselves on a T-shirt is easy enough. And there's hundreds of fonts for the occasion.. but I'm assuming the idea is to represent/symbolize the slogan in an image form? If so, would it be the sort of thing to be made as a comic (line-characters/etc)? Or something else?

Heh, just need to get a better idea of what you mean is all.
:)
Auburn

Postby HarryStottle » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:45 pm

HarryStottle
Site Admin

Postby Auburn » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:29 am

Auburn

Postby HarryStottle » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:17 pm

HarryStottle
Site Admin

Postby Auburn » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:46 am

That's interesting! (downloaded the pdf commentary, :) taking it in strides)

You've probably thought about the following before, and it may be explained further in the reading, but at the risk of saying something redundant, I'd like to ask a few things regarding the blog.

Though the notion of an autonomous society is an ideal that appeals to me, expecting humanity in their present state (pre-transhuman) to reach it is sadly unrealistic. The level of consciousness, self-control and intelligence that would be required from each individual is something that isn't available to us. (in some, literally due to disability, or in others due to their disposition*, or perhaps emotional/psychological/tramuatic factors that are above the control of will/reason)

I wonder whether a 'government' can wholly be erased and if it is a wise idea? If not for providing laws/order, then at least for the distribution of common services (i.e. managing post offices, firefighters/paramedics, healthcare, road repairs, incarcellating humans with homocidal tendencies, providing welfare to poor families, etc)

* = not all have a logic or morale based disposition, and awesome as it would be if they were, there are types of people who naturally don't specialize in, or prioritize in improving society/thinking-about-the-common-good. They're more motivated toward enjoying the moment, being viscerally driven, etc.
Auburn

Postby HarryStottle » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:18 pm

HarryStottle
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions