[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
RTP Discussions • View topic - evolution theories

evolution theories

(other, of course, than by clicking on a link!) Here we begin to explore The Second Question

evolution theories

Postby Mind Unraveled » Fri May 26, 2006 4:15 pm

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? -epicurus
Mind Unraveled

Postby Mind Unraveled » Fri May 26, 2006 8:09 pm

ok, so I've decided not to be lazy and try to figure this out.

I've come to the conclusion that very rapid evolutionary steps are possible and in my opinion even likely to produce trasitional species. While it's true that I'm nothing close to a scientist, I feel that this is reasonably supported and would love to be critizied and corrected.

One reason I thought of this is because of some creationist's claims that the fossil record doesn't support the evolution theory. They claim that key transitional creatures, such as a dino with features, have not been found. I thought that the dino-bird species was found but one creationist video pointed out that the animal was a fully funtional flying beast. I'm not saying that this is true. I wouldn't be suprised if it was a flat out lie. But lets say that we haven't found transitional species just for fun.

My response to this is that the chances of finding a fossil of a transitional creature is so small that actually finding one would be remarkable. I believe this because I think it is possible that transitional species could have existed in very few numbers and for a relatively short amount of time.

The species we have found, for the most part, were in existence for hundereds of thousands of years. Maybe even millions (not to sure about this though. Would love some help.) Transitional species could have only been around for tens of thousands of years and possible much much shorter. The quantity of this species could have also been very small.

I'm basing this around the idea that small populations are more susceptible to change. Check this link out.

I think it is possible that this could result in extreme changes within a species. This would happen if there was a dramatic change in the environment. For instance, a super volcano could disrupt the normal activies in an intire region, or a asteroid could disrupt the earth. Many members of that species would die out and only the fittest would survive. The small numbers would allow for a much faster intergration of helpful mutations. Then once the disaster is over or the spieces has become well enough adapted for their numbers to flurish the evolution would once again slow down.

Once again if there is anything obviously wrong please point it out. I'll try to find more links when I have time. For now yard workith doth call thy nameith.

Also, if you haven't notice, I'm not a spelling b champion or a grammer professor so please be gental.

EDIT: LOL was just reading this 15 mins after I posted this. It's the same place from the link above with just a couple clicks of the next topic button.
[/url]
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? -epicurus
Mind Unraveled

Re: evolution theories

Postby intelegant » Tue May 30, 2006 12:24 am

intelegant

Still reading...

Postby intelegant » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:01 am

[quote=]
Random mutations provide variations that help a species survive...[/quote]

More precisely, random mutations providing variations can help a species survive. The precept that some all-knowing, all-powerful force is guiding the development of one particular species is a faith of questionable value.
intelegant

Re: Still reading...

Postby Jesus 2.3 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:49 am

I'm back with a new name, but you may not have known me before.
I have many names, Daniel is one of them.
Daniel was a prophet, this one's a mastermind.
In virtual reality i'm Jesus 2.3 - but i am no god!
i'm just an asswhole who knows it all.
Jesus 2.3

Return to Chapter 5 - How Did We Get Here?